It must be the English girl in me, but I just can’t get into the ‘football’ played over here. Give me European football any day of the week. So while most of the nation was watching the Seattle Seahawks beat the Denver Broncos, I watched the commercials and wrote a couple of recipes. I made one of the recipes as one of our Superbowl foods, and I’m so excited to share it with you! Before I share that with you, did you see the adorable Budweiser ad with the puppy and Clydesdales?! My heart melted. If you missed it, here it is.
See? So cute. Anything with a puppy is a winner.
Back to the pizza. I decided I didn’t want a pizza that was too heavy and laden down with sauce, meats and five different kinds of cheeses. Instead, I lightened it with a little bit of olive oil, some vegetables and one cheese that I just can’t get enough of. It’s seriously the best cheese ever. If cheese was better for you, I would probably eat it all the time. Yeah.
This pizza is so easy to make. I used Trader Joe’s garlic and herb pizza dough as the base; I love the subtle taste it gives to the pizza without being to overwhelming. Serving this pizza with a spinach salad drizzled with a little balsamic vinegar is the perfect quick, easy meal.
Asparagus, Mushroom & Red Onion Pizza:
- 1 bag Trader Joe’s garlic and herb pizza dough
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (strong Dubliner preferred)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Place asparagus spears in water and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from pot and shock immediately in a bath of ice water. At the same time, lightly sauté the mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough and transfer to your prepared baking sheet. Spread the olive oil over the dough. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the dough and top with asparagus, mushrooms and red onion. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 15 minutes.