So these cupcakes. Probably the best cupcakes you’ll ever have in your life. Just sayin’.
I don’t know anyone that doesn’t like s’mores. If you don’t like them, we probably can’t be friends. Sorry.
The only s’more-like quality missing from these cupcakes is the toasted marshmallow frosting and that’s only because I don’t have a little torch to do it. Otherwise it would totally be happening. If you have one, do it. Embrace the toastiness.
A little graham cracker crust, the most chocolatey cupcakes you could imagine, fluffy marshmallow frosting and some graham cracker crumbs sprinkled on top. Salivating yet?
These campfire inspired cupcakes will be making an appearance at our Friday Night Dinner tonight and I can’t wait for our new guests to try them. Cupcakes are the way to anyone’s heart.
Make them. Share them (or not). Enjoy them. Imagine it’s the middle of summer and you’re having fun around the campfire with a big group of friends. Feels good, doesn’t it?
Makes 12 cupcakes
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 2oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
Graham Cracker Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar and salt with a fork. Drop 1 1/2 tbsp. of the mixture into each cupcake liner and press down. Sprinkle 1 tbsp. chopped chocolate on top of each crust and bake for 5 minutes. Keep oven on at 350°F for the cupcakes.
- Combine butter, chocolate and cocoa powder in a heatproof bowl over gently simmering water. Heat until butter and chocolate have melted, stir to combine and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a separate, larger bowl, whisk the eggs; add the sugar, vanilla and salt, stirring to combine. Add chocolate mixture and whisk together.
- Sift in 1/2 of flour mixture and stir. Whisk in the sour cream, then add in the remaining flour and whisk again until just combined. Do not overmix. Divide batter between liners with graham cracker crusts and bake 18-20 minutes.
- Combine egg whites and sugar in bowl over gently simmering water. Whisking constantly, bring to 160°F.
- Transfer mixture to stand mixer with whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed (8) until the mixture cools, doubles in volume and stiff peaks form, about 10-12 minutes.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, pipe frosting on top. Top with graham cracker crumbs, if desired.