So here’s the thing. I’m kind of obsessed with risotto.
There’s something so comforting about a bowl of creamy rice and vegetables (the cheese involved is also a big plus).
It’s also really therapeutic to make. This isn’t one of those throw everything in a pot and come back in an hour kind of dish. Risotto needs a little love.
Okay, it needs a lot of love. But I can promise you it’s 100% worth it. And I love you all too much to lie, so you know that’s true.
The secret to the creamiest, most delicious risotto is a little wine, warm stock and lots of stirring. It’s a labour of love.
Food made with love always tastes better. Always.
The wine gives this risotto a little somethin’, somethin’. Warm stock makes the rice extra creamy. Stirring ensures your rice absorbs all the liquid and doesn’t burn. Don’t let your rice burn. Stir constantly and you’ll have a risotto that will rival that of any restaurant.
Kale & Mushroom Risotto:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Few handfuls roughly chopped kale
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups chicken stock, warm
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the minced shallot and sauté until translucent; don’t let the shallot caramelize.
- Add the rice and stir to coat in the oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the white wine and cook, stirring constantly, until it has absorbed.
- Now, add the warm stock, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring continuously. Once the liquid has been absorbed, add another 1/4 cup and repeat the process until the rice is cooked. You might not use all of the stock.
- In a different pan, sauté the mushrooms and kale until the mushrooms are tender. Once tender, add to the risotto with the parmesan and stir well.
- Serve. I recommend serving with a glass of wine and an extra sprinkling of parmesan 🙂