Lemon anything in the summertime is just about my favourite thing. It probably has something to do with the bright, vibrant yellow of a lemon looking like the sun and putting a big smile on my face.
A friend of mine from culinary school sent me a message asking if I had a go-to lemon bar recipe. I didn’t, but I definitely do now.
These bars are lemony. There is nothing subtle about the lemon with these and that’s just the way I like it. I’ve put some lemon zest in the shortbread and 8 lemons worth of freshly squeezed lemon juice making up the filling.
Lemons for everyone!
These lemon bars couldn’t be easier to make. A super simple 4-ingredient shortbread base and the filling? The hardest part is juicing the lemons, which isn’t hard at all 🙂
Top these babies off with a little powdered sugar when they’re cool and you have just about the most perfect summer treat!
When life gives you lemons, make lemon bars.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- Juice of 8-9 lemons (about 1 cup)
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray or line a 9×13″ pan with parchment paper.
- To make the crust, beat together the butter, sugar, flour and lemon zest. Press into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Whisk together the sugar and flour. Add eggs and lemon juice, whisking to combine. Pour over baked crust and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Once cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into desired size.